Sunday, January 9, 2011

Challenge 3 - ride across Straddie - complete!

 Ali is my oldest friend. We met in Year 9. She was reading Jeffrey Archer's Kane and Able; I was reading The Prodigal Daughter. We were destined to be friends. Over the years, as well as improving our taste in literature, together we have been through many boyfriends (me, not her); a husband (her, not me); births; deaths; career changes; laughter; and tears.


Ali challenged me to ride across Stradbroke Island. 
I was so excited when she decided to join me. 
Our boys (big and little) came along too and 
we made a weekend of it. 

Weather not withstanding, we had a great time.


Given the amount of traffic on the island, we decided to ride from Point Lookout to Amity Point, rather than Dunwich. We packed our bags for a whole day ride. We left at 5.30 am and arrived at Amity Point at 6.30 am! Just a slight miscalculation. 


We descended into Amity via a long and large hill. Keen to avoid heading back up the hill, on the advice of locals, we started to ride back along the beach. How amazing - it is my new favourite thing. After about 45 minutes, we decided to leave the beach, convinced that we must be close to our hotel. We left the beach only to find ourselves at the base of THAT hill! Another slight miscalculation! Only slightly deterred, we headed along a 4WD track and arrived back to a delicious breakfast and view.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my precious friends Ali, Mark, David and Noah for sharing this adventure with me. Straddie - we will be back to do it all again.

J

1 comment:

  1. You put me to shame, girl! Note to self: ignore rain and get back on my bike.

    Now you're ready for monsoons and miscalculations - but I must know... did you wear your fruit bowl hat and take the chooks? :)

    lou

    ReplyDelete