Saturday, November 20, 2010

Taking the first step.


A few weeks ago, an email from Care Australia appeared in my inbox. Every year I buy my clients and and reticent nieces and nephews pairs of ducks and chickens and goats from Care's Christmas catalogue. I love Care's work and I love that their catalogue helps me to try to put a bit of the 'true' meaning of Christmas back into my otherwise consumerist world.

The email posed a challenge - the 'I am powerful Vietnam cycle challenge'. The email sat in my inbox for weeks, mocking me.

It was offering the chance to visit a country on my 'to do' list.
It was offering me the chance to so something with an organisation whose work I admire .
It was offering me the opportunity to help people who are less fortunate than me.
It was offering me a chance to get my mojo back.

Who was I to ignore it?

On 26 February I will be joining a cycle trip through Vietnam. I don't know anybody else on the trip. But we do all have one thing in common - we must all raise at least $3,000 to contribute to Care's projects in Vietnam.

That's where you come in. If you know me, you will know that I hate to ask for help, I hate to impose, I hate to be a bother. But I am pushing myself into terrifying territory to ask you for help, to impose, to be a bother.

I need you to help me raise the $3,000. Over the next few months. I will be organising a few fundraising activities. I would love you to join me.

I will also be posting about my training and preparation. I have three months to get my arse into gear - literally. So here is the first fundraising activity.

Sponsor me to complete a training challenge. You name it and I will try to complete it, all in the name of a good cause! Jim will provide photographic evidence of my pain! Who wants to go first?

3 comments:

  1. Definitely racking our brains for a good, appropriate challenge for you Justine! Delighted we can follow along. Go cycling lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be behind you dearie. As soon as I'm home I'll get onto it. Well done you!! Wish I could come too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am challenging you, (to the tune of $50) to, after your first grueling, hideous, full day of bike training, a long, soothing, bubble bath. I'm not kidding.

    (I was going to donate the money anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete